You are here
Modern Foreign Languages
The Modern Foreign Languages (MFL) department provides a range of part-time courses in Modern Languages at evenings and weekends.
We aim to cater for all students' needs: from beginners' courses, which focus mainly on the essential 'survival' skills required by the tourist or businessman in everyday situations, to Intermediate and Advanced courses where greater emphasis is placed on grammar and the ability to communicate accurately with more complex and varied language.
Lessons are well organised, student centred and personalised to take account of the necessary support or stretch and challenge you require to achieve your potential.
You will receive timely, detailed written feedback on your written work which clearly outlines strengths and areas for improvement that you need to focus on in order to improve your grade.
The majority of teachers are native speakers which will enhance your learning experience and development of the four key language skills i.e. speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Emphasis throughout is on the use of authentic materials, enabling students to develop their awareness of the society and culture of the countries where their chosen language is spoken.
All courses are sub-divided into Phase 1 and Phase 2, each phase lasting approximately half the year and culminating in an assessment in two of the four skill areas of listening, speaking, reading or writing. Students are expected to attempt the relevant assessment(s) for their course.
- Introduction to French
- French Immersion Day
- French Beginners Phase 1
- French Beginners Phase 2
- French Easy Pace Phase 1
- French Easy Pace Phase 2
- French Pre-Intermediate Phase 1
- French Pre-Intermediate Phase 2
- French Intermediate Phase 1
- French Intermediate Phase 2
- French for Business Phase 1
- French for Business Phase 2
- Introduction to German
- German Immersion Day
- German Beginners Phase 1
- German Beginners Phase 2
- German Pre-Intermediate Phase 1
- German Pre-Intermediate Phase 2
- German Intermediate Phase 1
- German Intermediate Phase 2
- German for Business Phase 1
- German for Business Phase 2
- Introduction to Italian
- Italian Immersion Day
- Italian Beginners Phase 1
- Italian Beginners Phase 2
- Italian Pre-Intermediate Phase 1
- Italian Pre-Intermediate Phase 2
- Introduction to Japanese
- Japanese Immersion Day
- Japanese Beginners Phase 1
- Japanese Beginners Phase 2
- Japanese Pre-Intermediate Phase 1
- Japanese Pre-Intermediate Phase 2
- Japanese Intermediate Phase 1
- Japanese Intermediate Phase 2
- Introduction to Mandarin
- Chinese Immersion Day
- Mandarin Chinese Language and Culture Phase 1
- Mandarin Chinese Language and Culture Phase 2
- Introduction to Spanish
- Spanish Immersion Day
- Spanish Beginners Phase 1
- Spanish Beginners Phase 2
- Spanish Easy Pace Phase 1
- Spanish Easy Pace Phase 2
- Spanish Pre-Intermediate Phase 1
- Spanish Pre-Intermediate Phase 2
- Spanish Intermediate Phase 1
- Spanish Intermediate Phase 2
- Spanish for Business Phase 1
- Spanish for Business Phase 2
Visit our course search page for further information.