You are here
If you have left school with a few qualifications or lower grades than what you were hoping for, we offer a range of courses that can help you prepare for work and boost your personal and social skills.
We have supportive staff who can help you with your study skills, give you extra support with your English and Maths and make sure you have the individual attention you need to achieve.
Are the Foundation Pathways for you?
These pathways are ideal if you are not sure what career direction to take and would benefit from extra time to try out an area of work-related learning that interests you.
The Foundation Pathways would suit you if you:
- are unsure what to do
- did not get the GCSEs you needed
- need to work on your English and Maths
You will be introduced to the new vocational area and get a head start with lots of support with your English and Maths.
Here are just some of the great benefits of foundation learning:
- It’s a simple, step-by-step route to reach your goals in learning or work
- You learn vocational subjects and you may get real work experience
- We have small classes and a high level of individual attention
- You also work on English, Maths, ICT and skills to make you ready for work or further study
- There is a starting point for everyone - we’ll help you work out the right level for you
- You can start at any time
- You will have continuous assessment and get individual feedback on your progress throughout the course
- You can progress to the next level as soon as you are ready.
Foundation students’ activities:
- Foundation awards ceremony
- Construction Foundation students volunteer in the local community
- Foundation students from various departments sponsor a child
- Catering Foundation students cater for staff meeting
- Business ESOL Entry and Level 1 Foundation Pathways
- Business and Retail Entry Level Foundation Pathway
- Business and Retail Level 1 Foundation Pathway
- Catering Entry Level Foundation Pathway
- Construction Entry Level Foundation Pathway
- Construction Level 1 Foundation Pathway
- Creative Entry Level Foundation Pathway
- Hair and Beauty Entry Level Foundation Pathway
- Health and Childcare ESOL Entry and Level 1 Foundation Pathways
- Health and Childcare Entry 3 and Level 1 Foundation Pathways
- Horticulture Entry Level Foundation Pathway
- Horticulture Level 1 Foundation Pathway
- ICT Entry Level Foundation Pathway
- NGage Entry and Level 1 Foundation Pathways
- Public Services Level 1 Foundation Pathway
- Remix 4 Work Entry Level 2 to Level 3 Foundation Pathways
- Sport Level 1 Foundation Pathway
- Travel and Tourism Level 1 Foundation Pathway
Visit our course search page for further information – descriptions are listed under the relevant subject area eg Sport or Construction.
Construction Level 1 Foundation Pathway
Why this course?
I came to Reading because I wanted to learn a new skill. I had been to other colleges but didn’t get on. While at Reading College I did bricklaying, carpentry and team working skills. I enjoyed going out into the community and doing construction projects.
Since leaving college I have got myself an Apprenticeship and am really enjoying it. I am now able to use the personal development skills that I learnt at college in my job.